Last year I discovered this amazing little yellow veggie called “Spaghetti Squash”
What you’ll need:
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp basil (I used fresh dried basil from my garden)
- 2 tsp dried fresh oregano
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 lb all white ground turkey breast (you can also use lean ground beef, I recommend 93-94% or 96% lean)
- 1 can Hunt’s Dinner Starters – Seasoned Tomato sauce for Lasagna
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Pam olive oil cooking spray or light olive oil.
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400. Puncture spaghetti squash with a knife to create vent holes. Place spaghetti squash in microwave safe bowl and cook on medium heat. Approximatly 10 minutes per pound
***Disclaimer!!!! Watch your squash!!! I started doing the dishes and forgot to check on my squash. The result was a huge mess that left me with a split squash and dirty microwave. Womp! Womp!***
- When squash is done, the outer shell will be soft to the touch and the middle will be tender and pull apart easily.
- Remove the squash from the mircowave, split down the center length wise and scoop out the seeds from the middle. Set aside on a baking sheet. Be careful they will be hot and steamy. Use gloves if possible.
- In a small skillet, spray generously with Pam and sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is slightly transparent.
- In a separate skillet begin cooking ground turkey. Season with pepper, basil and oregano. Cook until browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta and shredded cheese with browned ground turkey and sautéed onions and garlic. Season with 1 teaspoon each basil and oregano. Lightly mix until combined.
7. Evenly divide ricotta mixture between each squash half and top with more shredded cheese and herbs, if desired.
8. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes
9. If the cheese isn’t brown, turn oven to broil and cook for an other 2 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling.
***Again make sure to watch carefully, otherwise it can burn.
Serve immediately. Leftovers may be refrigerated for up to one week.
By the time I was done cooking and taking pictures my husband and I were both starved half to death so I forgot to take picture of the final result…. I know! I suck! Sorry. I served this with a slice of toasted pumpernickel bread on the side and mmm mmm! Perfection! Feel free to add/subtract whatever spices you like to get your desired flavor. I saw a few recipes that used crushed red pepper flakes but I’m not much for spice. Make it your own!
Hope you all enjoy! Bon Appetit!