The recipe has been flying all over Pinterest this last year and I fell in love immediately. When I’m not in the middle of a training for a big race I try to watch my carbs. I LOVE pasta and any kind of Italian food so I was so excited when I found a replacement for my normal whole wheat pasta that was both healthy AND delicious. I was even able to get the approval from the hub’s and the kids and believe me, that’s not always easy! I try to incorporate spaghetti squash into our dinner routine every couple of weeks but it’s been getting a little old the last few months. So, I started searching for other recipes to use the squash for aside from the usual spaghetti. I’ve found a few ideas on Pinterest such as cheesy casseroles, squash with capers and lemon sauce, and even alfredo but the one that took the cake was Spaghetti Squash lasagna. I made some adjustments to keep my recipe healthy and add some flavor but if your interested in a healthy low carb lasagna this is your best bet.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna:
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp basil (I used fresh dried basil from my garden)
- 2 tsp dried fresh oregano
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 lb all white ground turkey breast (you can also use lean ground beef, I recommend 93-94% or 96% lean)
- 1 can Hunt’s Dinner Starters – Seasoned Tomato sauce for Lasagna
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Pam olive oil cooking spray or light olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400. Puncture spaghetti squash with a knife to create vent holes. Place spaghetti squash in microwave safe bowl and cook on medium heat. Approximatly 10 minutes per pound
- When squash is done, the outer shell will be soft to the touch and the middle will be tender and pull apart easily.
- Remove the squash from the mircowave, split down the center length wise and scoop out the seeds from the middle. Set aside on a baking sheet. Be careful they will be hot and steamy. Use gloves if possible.
- In a small skillet, spray generously with Pam and sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is slightly transparent.
- In a separate skillet begin cooking ground turkey. Season with pepper, basil and oregano. Cook until browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta and shredded cheese with browned ground turkey and sautéed onions and garlic. Season with 1 teaspoon each basil and oregano. Lightly mix until combined.